As you get older, do you ever find yourself falling in love with a dish that you never would have touched when you were a kid? There were many things I wouldn’t touch as a kid as I was a very picky child. Of course, by not touch I mean ate every bite but hated every minute of it, because when I was younger we didn’t have a choice as to what we did and did not eat. I STILL cannot stand the smell of green peas because I HAD to eat them as a kid and I HATED them.
Here lately I’ve found myself making meatloaf on a regular basis. Most people turn their noses up at the thought of this timeless dish and I used to be that person too. Until I found this recipe. My stepmom made it this way when I was in high school and I LOVED it. Now I make it for my guys and they can’t get enough! I think the reason this appealed to me so much as a kid is because it is chunk free! No onions, no tomatoes, no peppers……you know. The things kids hate. And for this reason, this dish makes it in to my 10 year old son’s top 5 favorite dishes. So….if you have picky eaters, THIS is the recipe for you!
- 2 lb of ground beef
- 1 sm can tomato sauce
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 egg
- 1 pkg onion soup mix**
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine beef, oatmeal, egg, and soup mix (dry) in to large bowl and fold together with hands. Ensure all ingredients are mixed throughhout and egg is soaked up completely.
- Form mixture in to loaf shape and place in casserole dis. I use these dishes and absolutely adore them!
- Pour tomato sauce over loaf.
- Place in oven and cook for about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into middle to ensure middle is completely cooked. If not done, return to oven for 15 additional minutes.
We like it with ketchup on top but it is just as good without anything!
**For the really picky eaters that can detect even the tiniest of onion (I was that kid), you can strain out the minced onion in the soup mix and it is just as wonderful. I have also created my own soup mix when I have forgotten to pick some up. This also takes care of the onion problem as I use onion power rather than minced onion.
As you can see he LOVES it and can’t even wait for it to get out of the oven. I might have even gotten a “You are the best mom” tonight.